Assignment #6 is available for download.
Links to reading:
- Thermonuclear Supernovae by The Astrophysics Spectator
- How to Blow Up A Star by W. Hillebrandt, H.-T. Janka and E. Muellerller. Scientific American, October 2006. (Note: You have already looked at this article in the context of core-collapse supernovae; now look at it again for the thermonuclear supernova perspective).
- Type Ia Supernovae: Their Origin and Possible Applications in Cosmology by K. Nomoto, K. Iwamoto, & N. Kishimoto. Science, 276, 1378, 1997. http://www.sciencemag.org/content/276/5317/1378.full.pdf
- OPTIONAL (advanced): Type Ia Supernova Explosion Models} by W. Hillebrandt & J. C. Niemeyer, Annual Review in Astronomy and Astrophysics, 38, 191, 2000.
Update on the term project:
Based on the feedback you have provided in the anonymous FS 001 survey, I have decided to change the term project. Your charge is now:
- Using LaTex, write a 5-page (double spaced) term paper on the kind of explosion you had picked for the video. Continue to work in groups of two. Use proper citation and bibliography.
- Prepare a 20-minute presentation based on your choice of explosion (the same you discuss in on your paper).